Thursday, January 17, 2019

How Much Does It Cost To Paint?

How a painter's small work station
looks like.. MESSY!
Whenever people inquire about starting their first artwork, the first thing that comes to mind is cost. People will shun away and think twice when the cost is presented to them- and worst a barrage of questions how, what, why, materials and the whole lot follows after. It makes me laugh sometimes, and I will patiently entertain them. (in a humble manner, of course) Life of a teacher has fused my blood with tonnes of zen... Since... Children, brats and rascals are involved every weekend.
Kaleidoscope Dream
I'm an illustrator on the budget and I do see a lot of brands out there and not all extremely expensive brands are to my quality choice... And like seriously! I love Alpha brand for watercolour, and I've recently learnt about the wonders of Holbein introduced to me through another friend who is from the same field as me. The large tubes of paint sold half the price like Reeves, Marie and some other cheaper large tube brands are my preferred choice for acrylic paint because I use a lot and I like working on casual layers. Yes, the tubes are huge but they cost half the price (sometimes a fraction cheaper) than the extremely expensive well known brands but they give out the same quality outcome.

However, here is a guide what and how you should purchase your first watercolour kit! It is easy, simple and affordable for everyone to try out- till you decide you would like to explore further into painting wave in the future.

Among Ocean, Moons and Stars.
And this artwork is sold!!!
  • What And Why Do You Want To Paint?
People paint for many reasons; to relax, to fill up their journals, a hobby, a profession, a practice... So on and so forth. Find out what and why do you want to paint first before you go to the next level and purchase your painting tools.
  • Start With Watercolour
Watercolour is the most basic medium to start with. Reason; it is simple, water soluble and you don't need all the advanced tool to work with. All you need is a cup of water, maybe a few types of brushes depending on how you want to paint your subject, a pallete and a piece of rug to dry your brush when need be. 
It doesn't matter how much you want to spend on a set of watercolour; it can be a children's set you pay less that $10 to an advance (or those expensive well known brands like Daller Rowney, Holbein and other notable brands) set that costs $50 or more, what you want is a medium you can start with to learn how to blend colours, techniques in brush applications and how you correct as your paint.
  • Choosing The Right Canvas
Not every medium is suitable with every or any sort of surfaces. You may need to prime your base first before you apply your colour medium. Eg: canvas is expensive and can be pricy for oil and acrylic mediums, however, paper sold meant for oil and acrylic paint can be pricy too. Solution: a good tub of gesso! I've applied gesso to a normal acid free 185 gsm thick drawing block and do I enjoy the feel after that.  
You can start off in a form of a book, in which I DIY my own book instead of buying off the shelf. I find it more affordable that way. Scouting the price per sheet in its largest A1 size (I get my boyfie to carry it for me since me carrying it means dragging it across the floor), cut to preferred size at home then choose the sort of binding later on with my own sort of cover. I choose the transparent matte so I can show off my paintings on the first page (haha!!) Price per book I DIY with binding with clear matte cover and hard board for the backing came up to a third of the price to buy a book outside. Of course the hard cover is awesome and the binding is splendid... But hmmm.... Not worth my three times the price when it consists on one type of paper only.

  • What Brands Have I Used Is Quality Yet Comfortable To The Wallet? 
Being an illustrator on the budget, I have always worked with Alpha. And when I need to replace only certain colours, I always look out for discounts on certain brands of paint, and my far best few are Holbein, Umae and Daller Rowney. Really lucky, because Alpha doesn't have them in solo tube colours in variants.

Marie Watercolour Set
Derwent Watercolour

I have tried some other brands like Derwent and Marie, however the colours are not to my liking since it is pretty pale and will require more layers (and more paint used too) but it would be good for beginners to start with. The price wise is half from what I normally purchase, and it is definitely easier on the budget. 
When I do find a certain brand with the colour quality of my choice, I will purchase at least a few tubes (unless it is too strong and I really use a small amount at a time... Like violet) and will have all of the stored in a proper box. Reason for a box? So I don't squish them by accident... Since they have soft bodies. Well... Tubes. 
I do not let my watercolour kept in just a box, I have my other watercolour tools kept together in a bag with my cheap Daiso painting pallete (RM5.90 and hey! It works!) my watercolour brushes, my metallic gold paints, and my Pentel black and white poster colour. I so happen found a bag I kept away forgotten in my room, so oho- Now I use you.

How my collection for watercolour looks like. MESSY in a neat way.
Taadaa!! All zipped up and
ready to be carried around!

See how they fit so nicely?












I don't want to brag but I do find this tip useful, a step by step illustrator-to-be guide. I hate salesmen, and I do not easily trust when the seller said it is good. I must always open tubes and see the colours within myself to be convinced. As harsh as it may seem, I hope these tips will help you on your first colourful journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment